Since the MCLA is the only college lacrosse we have in Iowa, I want to keep everyone updated. Last week I gave you a rundown on how everybody in our area is doing at the halfway point. This week I just want to give you some random information. Stats are generally updated weekly and posted on Monday, so this information is current as of April 6, 2009.
1. Iowa Attackman Alex De La Pena (Team Captain, Sophomore) leads the entire MCLA in points per game with an average of 6.27!!!! Nebraska's Scott Moyer (Senior, 5.38) and Sam Jura (Freshman, 4.88) come in at 6th and 16th overall, respectively. Kansas State's Jordan Smith ranks 22nd overall with 4.67.
2. Moyer ranks 2nd overall in goals per game with 4.50! KSU's Smith comes in 10th with 3.33. two more Wildcats, Matt Herring (Freshman) and Sean Berger (Junior) round out thetop 25 with 2.83 each.
3. De La Pena is 3rd overall in assists per game with 3.64. Jura is 5th with 3.25.
5. Iowa's Nolan McGowan (Senior) is 14th is goals against average with a relatively low 6.11. Soherty is 16th with 6.17.
6. Sources have told me that Northwestern College has suspended its 2009 season. I do not know if it was due to finances, behavioral issues, or a general lack of participation. If anything develops, I will pass it along. It saddens me to hear that a local lax team is not playing.
7. Lindenwood (8) remains in the Adidas Top 23. Minnesota Duluth is not far behind them (9). Full rankings/polls are available here.
8. Although it is not MCLA lacrosse, the University of Wisconsin has a lacrosse team (three actually). They are a more traditional club program than the "Virtual Varisty" programs featured in the MCLA. Essentially they compete in the less formal Great Lakes Lacrosse League, which is a semicompetitive club league not restricted to college programs. There are significantly fewer academic requirements and time committments because of this. College bound players looking for more of a recreational opportunity should consider playing at one of the GLLL schools. Most of the Wisconsin system and several schools in Illinois participate. Check their site for more information.
As a reminder, we will be having a Toss Around tomorrow at Valley Southwoods. We will meet at noon!