Boy Scouts at Water Works
The Boy Scouts of America will be having their 100th Anniversary Encampment on Saturday, September 18 at Water Works Park on the south side of Des Moines. They are expecting over 5,000 people and will offer many events throughout the day. John Yasenko, Summer League player, is a District Executive for the Boy Scouts and has organized a lacrosse event as part of the celebration. Yasenko is looking for at least 10 volunteers to assist him.
Yasenko has set up a pretty good deal for those that volunteer. See below for the full details. The Boy Scouts are providing the balls, but Yasenko does ask that you bring your extra sticks for instruction. You will be teaching interested boys how to play. This is a great opportunity to increase lacrosse participation in Des Moines and throughout the state of Iowa.
If you are interested in volunteering or attending, please contact John Yasenko. He is coordinating all of the volunteers.
- 30 minute sessions of basic instruction - passing, cradling, scooping, etc.
- Demonstration of full contact drills - Oklahoma, Checks, Groundballs, etc.
- Broken into two sessions per the schedule below
- Five volunteers per session
- Free admission to the event
- Free participation in other activities
- Free lunch
- 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
- Lunch break - includes free lunch
- 1:00 pm -5:00 pm
The FREE activities:
- Paintball course
- Knife throwing
- Climbing Walls
- Shooting ranges
- Archery ranges
- Civil War reenactment
- Potentially more to come