Best Place to Find Low Prices - Discontinued Gear

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Equipment Review - Adidas 111 Shoulder Liners

In addition to the 111 Elbow Pads and Shoulder Pads, Adidas Lacrosse sent me a pair of 111 Shoulder Liners. Preferred by d-poles and players that despise full shoulder pads, the liners are generally not my cup of tea. But as I mentioned in the Arm Pad review, I am considering a switch to d-pole myself. When that happens, liners are exactly what I want to wear.
Much like the Shoulder Pads, I tried the 111 Shoulder Liners on as soon as I pulled them out of the box. Their extremely light weight made it seem more like yanking on a t-shirt than putting on a set of pads. Right away I could tell that they would definitely be in the way on the field.
The front laces make it easy to widen the protection while keeping adequate padding over the sternum. The ample Velcro straps allow plenty of room to account for barrel chests and strong upper bodies. The neck opening is large enough for an NFL line backer to wear comfortably, yet the shoulder padding sits exactly where it should.
Much like the 111 Shoulder Pads, the liners move with your body and do not ride up on your throat. They do not impair throwing or interfere with checks. Full range of motion is entirely possible while wearing the liners.
Just like the rest of the 111 line, the Shoulder Liners are equipped with Climalite. This moisture wicking fabric is amazingly functional. I never felt wet while wearing these despite the swimming pool of sweat that poured from my body. When summer time humidity rolls around, Climalite will be a blessing.
Comfort: 10

Flexibility: 10

Moisture Management: 8

Protection: 4

Overall: 8 out of 10

Since every high school and college player in the country has to wear shoulder pads, it is important to get something that suits your needs as a player. Generally, the liners are designed for defensive players, but they would work for some middies as well. While they do not offer much protection, dodging middies that are not afraid of the occasional check can certainly appreciate their maneuverability and near weightless feel.

Tribe 7