Best Place to Find Low Prices - Discontinued Gear

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Lacrosse and Its Many Forms

Now that I had some fun loosening my fingers speculating about the future of lacrosse in general, I think it may be necessary to talk about some of the varieties of lacrosse. Some of these will apply directly to my plans and desires for Des Moines. Others, specifically women's lacrosse, will not apply to us, at least not for now. I will try to bring in as many pictures as possible and clarify the rules for each game.

I am not promising a huge blog for each, nor am I saying that I will not directly quote outside material. With each description, I will try my best to talk about how I think they will fit in with my plans/vision for Des Moines. Things like how and where each version could be played, how many people will be required, what kind of equipment can/will be used, and what type of organization/officiating will be needed for each game will be discussed.

First and foremost I will discuss the basic game of lacrosse, formally known as Field Lacrosse. This is the game that most of the world thinks of as "Lacrosse." The NCAA and MLL play field lacrosse and field lacrosse was played in "American Pie." I'll look at Field Lacrosse tomorrow.

On Friday, we'll discuss the second most popular type of men's lacrosse, Box Lacrosse. This is national summer game of Canada and was originally invented as a way for ice rinks to make money in the summer. The Gaits honed their skills in the box.

On Saturday, Women's lacrosse will be featured. Its origins and major differences from men's field lacrosse will discussed. As I stated above, this game is the least likely to be seen in Des Moines in the near future.

Sunday will feature the newest version of lacrosse, Chumash. It can be a co-ed sport if needed and requires the fewest players. The field, goal, and official requirements are smaller than the other men's games as well.

Most of the games use the same type of goal and similar field dimensions (although Box features a condensed field). A standard lacrosse goal looks similar to a hockey goal with some slight variations. Figuring out which type of game will be played will ultimately determine which type of goal(s) Central Iowa Lacrosse will need to get a hold of and what kind of field we will need to arrange.

PS. A few people have asked me about where in Des Moines lax sticks can be purchased. Scheels and Sports Authority have both had beginner sticks, most notably the Warrior Outlaw (pictured below), in stock over the last year. Play it Again in Ames usually has some lax stuff. Most Dick's have lax sticks and the Clive Play it Again may have a couple around. According to Warrior's website, Slapshot Hockey is listed as an authorized distributor (they sell Warrior hockey sticks and glove), so you may be able order Warrior lacrosse through them. I am not sure on this since I have not asked about the possibility of bringing lax into their store yet. Also, check out Great Atlantic Lacrosse. It is a highly reputable and reliable online retailer with a great selection and many brands.



Continue to Part 2

Tribe 7